Become a Volunteer Classroom Aide
Volunteer Classroom Aide Application
Volunteer Classroom Aides assist classroom teachers at Delaware County Literacy Council (DCLC) in delivering instruction to adult students. DCLC Volunteer Classroom Aides provide assistance during at least one full class per week.
The role and activities of the Volunteer Classroom Aide are stipulated by the classroom teacher and may include, but are not limited to:
- working with students on a teacher-led activity
- rotating among small groups of students to see if they need help
- leading a small group in a specific activity
- assisting an individual student
DCLC Volunteer Classroom Aides help DCLC teachers successfully conduct their adult literacy classes and, as such, have an important role in helping DCLC’s adult students make progress toward their goals. Please read the Qualifications, Steps, and Duties below to learn more about becoming a DCLC Volunteer Classroom Aide.
Volunteer Classroom Aide Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Must possess good literacy and communication skills
- Must exhibit professionalism in interacting with students and DCLC personnel and in following guidance provided during training
- Must exhibit patience and flexibility in following directions and guidance from the assigned DCLC Classroom Teacher and in encouraging adult students during classroom activities
Steps to Becoming a DCLC Volunteer Classroom Aide
- Complete an online DCLC Volunteer Classroom Aide Application.
- Complete an online PA Criminal Background Check and submit a printout of the results to DCLC. For tips on completing the online form, click here. Note: The results of the Criminal Background Check are considered part of the DCLC Volunteer Classroom Aide Application, and the application is not considered complete until the results are received by DCLC for review.
- Complete a 4-hour training that covers the DCLC Volunteer Classroom Aide’s role and responsibilities and that includes classroom observation.
- Read and agree to perform the duties listed below.
Volunteer Classroom Aide Duties
All DCLC Volunteer Classroom Aides:
- Commit to at least six months of continuous service, with the understanding that measurable student progress often takes longer to achieve.
- Assist during at least one full class period per week (may participate more often if agreed upon by the classroom teacher). NOTE: Classes may be virtual or in person.
- Follow the guidance provided by the DCLC Classroom Teacher as to specific role and responsibilities during class sessions.
- Exhibit professionalism by being dependable and punctual in attending assigned classes and in communicating directly with the DCLC Classroom Teacher if unable to attend.
- Honor the confidentiality of all information regarding adult students and their classroom interactions.
- Submit a twice-monthly record of hours spent performing Volunteer Classroom Aide duties.